Jan 24, 2011

Wear Your Love on Your Sleeve

Everyone has things they love. Sometimes they're things that don't go together. Sometimes they're things you love almost in passing. Sometimes they're things that you may not want to admit.

Which is silly, because there's a reason you love it and isn't hiding that being rather selfish?

For a community that encourages people to dress how they want, we have a lot of rules and a lot of stereotypes. But isn't playing with the fashion and getting to show off things you love one of the most exciting things about lolita? Don't get me wrong, I'm as big a fan of sweets as the next girl. In fact, I'm pretty sure there are few others who can claim they flew across the country to try macarons. (Which was totally worth it, even if the remainder got a little crushed on the return flight.) But, really, is that the way all of us want to define ourselves in our wardrobe?

Currently I'm working on stitching my favorite story into a dress. Even as I work on it, however, it strikes me that there are so many more things I'd love to put into what I wear. I'm a huge fan of several video games that could be potentially adorable dresses. Sack boy embroidery anyone? Or little dancing pink furrets? And then I think further. Batman. It's the only logical conclusion, really. It would be possibly the greatest thing to ever exist. A gray JSK with a simple black insignia, a black capelet and a yellow bow clipped into my hair. It would be amazing.

Now I'll admit I've not read all the comics. Some. The black and white ones were amazing. But, let's face it, the last time I fell in love with comic books, Joss killed Kitty Pryde.

Thus died the cutest romance ever.

But pull out the Justice League dvd set? Oh I will marathon it for days. Repeatedly. And who does the Justice League call when they need help? Batman. Thus, it is my goal to own a batman themed dress before the year ends. A late resolution, if you will.
So if you were to play and to have one of the things you love made into a piece of lolita clothing, what would it be? What would it look like exactly? What's stopping you from having it? If the answer is that you aren't sure what people would think, don't let it stop you. You're already rocking your frills, so you might as well take that next step.

And someday I'll be able to figure out how to make a dress inspired by my real favorite JL character.

I can do something tasteful with this, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment