Jan 14, 2011

Inspiration: The Last Unicorn


The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone. She was very old, though she did not knew it, and she was no longer the careless color of sea foam, but rather the color of snow falling on a moonlit night. But her eyes were still clear and unwearied, and she still moved like a shadow on the sea. 

There are books that I read and enjoy and recommend left and right and then there are books that are ingrained in my subconscious and stories that have touched me so deeply that it very very rarely occurs to me to spread the word, because how can something so wonderful and so important not be known to everyone. I can count these on one hand, so long as the quartets and trilogies count only once. The Lord of the Rings, The Lioness Quartet, The Circle of Magic and The Last Unicorn. Each of these has taught me something and has influenced me and changed the way I think. Lord of the Rings taught me to love the written word, the fantasy epic and lyrical poetry. The Lioness Quartet inspired me to be myself without apology and the Circle of Magic drove me to seek out friends. The Last Unicorn, on the other hand, is a bit difficult to describe. 

I saw the movie long before I found the book, indeed it was years before I even knew of such a book. As much as I adore the movie, it is the book that is closest to my heart. It inspired my love of writing and sparked in me a love of bittersweet endings. Which, as the idea grew in me, became an optimism that affects my real life every day.

Recently I began a project to embroider this story that has meant so much to me onto a dress. Though I am months away from completing it, I felt as though I should go ahead and share my love for this with everyone.
The start of my own lilac wood.

Ways you can celebrate your inner unicorn:

1) Decorate with butterflies. It was a butterfly which gave the unicorn hope and a destination in her travels. Though his part was small, he is often one of the most recognized characters of the story.

2) Try a floral tea. One of the lines that always stuck with me is when the unicorn takes a last breath of the air of her home and 'held it in her mouth like a flower'. I remember this line every time I drink tea with a heavy floral flavor. You can try jasmine or rose, or any other that strikes your fancy.

3) Go on a journey seeking something. It could be anything from a certain type of lamp, a certain book, a food you've been craving but aren't sure where to get, or even a new friend. Go out and look for something.

4) Move like the unicorn. Certain people (me) will never manage grace. But even if you are horribly clumsy you can still do things like skipping. You'll be surprised at how much your mood can lift just by moving like it's a sort of game or a dance.

5) Sing a song. In the book, the characters are often singing or recalling songs. So try singing a song from memory, even if it's a simple song from your childhood.

6) Look for good things even when you are sad. No sorrow shall live in me so long as that joy.

1 comment: