Apr 19, 2011

Books for Lolitas: Into the Land of the Unicorns

 Into the Land of the Unicorns

I'd be very surprised if this book is new to many. I remember this being one of my favorite stories to read as a child. Though I consider myself very lucky that I was wise enough not to take the same approach to this book as I did to the Narnia stories. Climbing into anything that seems wardrobe like seems much safer than jumping off buildings.

Cara Hunter leaps from a church's bell tower - taking her grandmother's word that it's the safest thing to do at the time. She falls not onto the streets below, but into another world she knows nothing about. All she has is her grandmother's amulet and the instructions to deliver it to the unicorn queen. She's helped along the way by the young unicorn Lightfoot and a small group of other interesting creatures.

It's not a work of literary genius. The plot is, at times, quite random and has little set up for any of the events that happen. Perhaps this is because the Cara is swept up in events she has no understanding of, but the result is a book that doesn't cross the line from 'early reader' to 'young adult' literature. This isn't a failing, but simply a fact. I have fond memories of this story, but I will admit that it is one that for me is best kept in the warm glow of nostalgia rather than being re-examined with more mature eyes. Those that haven't seen the book before, use your own judgment. Less picky readers will likely find a lot to enjoy in the story and the characters. If you have a problem with writing mechanics not quite being up to your level, perhaps this is a book you might enjoy sharing with younger readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment